Sunday, February 17, 2008

Dribbling Soup

Took a long over due trip across the border last weekend to Nottingham and visited all the relatives, family, friends, acquaintances, colleagues, comrades and people who just happened to be in the same pub as me in four days. Everyone is well and still able to eat soup without dribbling.

Father announced he was getting married, which is good news and even better he's getting married to the woman he lives with. Another hasty visit has been arranged for Easter but this will be more of the flying type.

*****

I read the 'Good Fairies of New York' at last which is a novel several people have recommended to me but I'm afraid to say didn't knock my socks off. It was okay. The ideas were excellent and the humour well maintained but I found it lacking in polish. It just felt like there were too many ideas flying around Martin Millar's head when he tried writing this and that they were spewed onto the page in a torrent of enthusiasm. It feels like a first draft and in need of a bit of a shine. As most film makers seem to be going back and producing new versions of their most famous films perhaps authors should be allowed to as well. We could have TGFONY Redux. with new scenes and a bit of editing.

Also read 'At the Mountains of Madness' again. I just love the way this book builds in tension. Nothing particularly scary happens for the first three quarters of the book but you know its coming...slowly...slowly...slowly...until...well I won't ruin it for you. This edition also contained Lovecraft's essay at the back 'Supernatural Horror in Literature,' which if you want to know where dark fiction started then it's a very good introduction.

*****

As soon as I finish my current book I'm starting on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde as it's the book that people all over Edinburgh are reading in Feb.

*****

Read this week:
At the Mountains of Madness by H. P. Lovecraft
The Good Fairies of New York by Martin Millar

No comments: