Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hanging around the graveyard

I've been fortunate enough to meet a few of my heroes (Woody Allen, Dave Mckean) and thankfully never had to suffer the shock that they were not the sort of people I would care to share a long train journey sitting next to. Tuesday night I added another name to that list. Neil Gaiman is well known for really pulling out all the stops when it comes to his fans, his legendary long signing sessions, his diligent updates to his blog and the fact he dedicated one of his books to them makes him a much admired writer. You'll be glad to know he did not disappoint.


The Church Hill Theatre seats over 600 people and it was full to bursting (Ian Rankin was in the audience). After a read through of Ch. 5 -Dance Macabre, delivered in Gaiman's softly spoken butter-dripping drawl he started the signing. I had Big Gary along and somehow managed to land myself at the front of the queue. He signed a few things for me and then I got to ask him the big question. He said yes and that he would be "honoured" - so, a Gaiman character will appear (as a name on a list) in the DarkFather.
The Graveyard Book is one of Gaiman's works which can be read to children but work just as well for adults (like Coraline). I haven't read it yet but I've heard most of it as the Gaiman and his publishers have made every chapter available online. If you get the chance have a listen, you won't be disappointed.

****

I'm in London this weekend I just found out Terry Pratchett will be doing a signing at Forbidden Planet at roughly the same time I'm there. I should have got my copy of Good Omens signed by Neil and then by Terry - Damn!

****

Sad to hear that Dr Who has a planned regeneration coming up (at the end of 2009). Tennent has been excellent - gurning and grinning through the role but at the same time adding just the right hint of madness and darkness.

No comments: