Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Welcome to Chennai

I'm installed in my hotel, overlooking Mount Road in central Chennai. It's hot, busy, cacophonous and bizarre. Wealth and real poverty side by side, a modern thriving metropolis but one rooted in ancient cultures, its a mishmash of ideas, thoughts and voices. It's going to be an interesting year.

So far I haven't gone far. A quick trip to a shopping centre through the noisome streets and to the gym (where I made a friend of the trainer and he tried to kill through exercise - which I need to do everyday).

Tomorrow Madame Vin is going on her first visit to the office and I'll start my writing regime.

In the mean time, some links:

  • A biomechanical world in this stunning video
  • Supernatural is getting the Anime treatment.
  • "Migrating Floating Gardens" by Rael San Fratello Architects.
  • A 'Super Sad True Love Story' from Gary Shteyngart "we live in such a fast-paced society that the moment you want to write about something, that instant is gone. The only way to capture the present is to write about the future."
  • The age of the book is coming to an end. 
  • And now that I'm India for a year, Kate Griffin has made me a little home sick for Edinburgh.
I'll try to put up some photos tomorrow.

No comments: